Sunday, February 14, 2010

Kayla, Earning Her Ears / Pin Trading

Disney's Human Elements - Kayla, Earning Her Ears / Pin Trading (by Scott Smith (SRisonS))

I cheated on this one.

When I first set out to do this “Disney’s Human Element” project, getting a shot of Pin Trading was one of the musts. I also wanted every single shot to be totally candid (we’ll see what happens with the Streetmosphere performers though).

For starters, this wasn’t the composition I was going for. I saw the perfect opportunity when a woman approached this Cast Member to try to do a pin trade. When I tried to move into position, my sleeve got caught up on a hanger. After finally raising the camera, the pin trade was already under execution; and the woman’s hand was too much a part of the shot. I was pretty disappointed, because I really like the colors of the CM’s uniform; and her co-worker was standing next to her, giving even more color to the shot. So I stood around the area, like a creepy weirdo, to see if anyone else would walk up. After spending 2 or 3 minutes looking at kiddie toys (WAAAAAYY too long if you really have no interest in buying them), I finally decided to just ask her to do a pin trading pose. If it wasn’t for her complete enthusiasm, and definite willingness to help me get a good shot; I probably wouldn’t have used this. But because of her graciousness, I couldn’t NOT use this shot. Then again, I was quite please how this turned out. The nice smile really helped this out too. :)

Kayla definitely Earned Her Ears. ;)

Pixar Place
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
Walt Disney World, FL

No comments: